View Single Post

Old 05-08-2017, 03:13 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 6,743 Times in 2,526 Posts

Here are some British weapons. First is a Webley Mk VI, dated 1916. It is still chambered for the .455 cartridge; the cylinder has not been shaved to take the 45 ACP with half moon clips. I reload for it; I have about 100 rounds, which is plenty as I don't shoot it that much. Hard to measure the bore diameter as it has seven grooves. I cast bullets from a Lyman mould designed for the 45 Colt when its groove diameter was .454". I shoot the bullets unsized and get good accuracy.

Next is an Enfield No 2 in 38/200 which si the 38 S&W cartridge with a 200 grain bullet. When the bullet was jacketed, the weight was reduced to about 178 grs. I shoot a keith type SWC weighing about 175 grs. The holster is the later drop down model: the first model had a much longer drop.

Next is a S&W British Service Revolver, also in 38/200. This one went to New Zealand and is stamped NZ and a number on the bump in the frame behind the hammer.

Last is a SMLE Mk III*. I have fitted it with a Parker Hale peep sight. The barrel was bad and I got a brand new one, with wax still on the threads, and had Brian Dick, the SMLE guru rebarrel it. Accuracy is still lousy; its groups are about twice as big as my 03-A3's. In WWI, my father was in the 27th Infantry Division, NYNG. It and the 30th Division were grouped into the US Second Corps and given to the British. They wore British uniforms, ate British rations (which he didn't appreciate), were equipped with British kit and carried the SMLE. He didn't think too much of he SMLE; one of his diary entries reads: "Went to the range today. Shot a pretty good score, consideing I was firing a Lee-Enfield".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L1010643.jpg (77.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1925.JPG (94.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00185.JPG (133.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg L1020477_000.JPG (68.3 KB, 23 views)
The Following 8 Users Like Post: