View Single Post

Old 05-08-2017, 05:21 PM

Liked 2,782 Times in 1,263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB3 View Post
Certain dimensions may be similar, or even exactly the same.

However, PRESSURE, which is a major factor in function, wear and safety, is different enough that S&W no longer offers a specific .357 SIG product in the M&P line and recommends not adapting a lower pressure-designed gun to run a higher pressure cartridge--or do it at your own risk.

IMO, the risks and liabilities associated with such a caliber change just aren't worth it. Fans of the .357 Sig caliber will disagree, believing it has certain positive characteristics. I have been there and done that with another manufacturer's pistol with their own manufactured barrel, and it busted up the weapon. I gained so little in performance and so much in cost and aggravation that I won't do it again.
Actually, I'm a big fan of 357 SIG but I agree with you totally. The pressure, slide speed and so on just exceed what the firearm was designed to withstand.

I doubt the firearm would detonate or fail catastrophically, but it'd probably do some damage in the long run. And if a person is willing to take that risk and pay that cost, who am I to argue with them?