View Single Post

Old 05-09-2017, 05:40 PM
Absent Comrade

Liked 13,354 Times in 5,549 Posts
Default Leading, leadcast, moly coating.

I've reloaded since the early 70's. I was shooting jacketed bullets at paper targets. I soon switched over to leadcast bullets in my 44mag, 357/38, 45acp. My 44 mag was first at the range. I started getting leading in my barrel. I been testing moly since 1970 in every application. I seen the Carolina lead cast bullets that are moly coated. I started using them. I lowered my powder charge a tad too. Very little lead in the barrel ever since. The barrel sheen is a dark gray. I just wipe the barrel with a bore brush. The moly is in the pores of the metal in the barrel if we wash the barrel we remove the moly.

Same thing with moly coated jacketed rifle bullets. Moly eliminates wear, reduces friction. Again your bore will be a dark gray. Just mop it out. Using moly the bore is much easier to clean. No washing is needed. If you want the fps and accuracy to be consistent. This is why some shooters had problems shooting moly bullets. Even the manufacturer of the moly bullets didn't explain it correctly. A change of habits is needed. Bill