View Single Post

Old 05-10-2017, 09:05 AM

Liked 25,747 Times in 8,701 Posts

Just my personal opinion - some may disagree.......

I know this may sound counter-intuitive, but I would not waste your money on a specialized torque tool. If you take the plunge and want to start working on your guns you should learn how to "FEEL" the proper torque on screws, extractors, etc. Basically, you do want to get it tight WITHOUT Gorilla tightening it. DO NOT use any Locktite (NOT NECESSARY IF PROPERLY TIGHTENED), but use an old tooth brush to clean the fine threads (with some of your favorite solvent), clean off with your favorite rust preventative, wipe gently and reassemble. Use a Drill Press's Chuck or a quality Electric Drill with a good Chuck to hold your EJ. Tighten but don't do the Gorilla tight! I am sorry but it is a hard thing to describe over the net what tight enough is, but if you get started with Torque Wrenches you will never develop a feel for what is properly tightened.

INSERT EMPTY CASES IN CYLINDER WHEN TIGHTENING AND LOSING!

ERR ON THE SIDE OF A LITTLE TOO LOOSE RATHER THAN A LITTLE TOO TIGHT. I'D RATHER YOU HAVE TO RETIGHTEN (NO HARM DONE) THAN TO BREAK SOMETHING. (If you have an ER loosen, just tighten with a little more force) - when it remains tight you know you have done it correctly.

GET A FIRM CHUCK GRIP ON ER PAST THE KNURNLING SO IT DOESN'T GET MARKED UP.

REMEMBER - IT'S A REVERSE THREAD.

After you do this several times, YOUR HANDS AND BRAIN will become your Torque Wrench. You will be surprised how accurate and proper your muscle memory will become.
The Following User Likes This Post: