View Single Post

Old 05-10-2017, 12:57 PM
US Veteran

Liked 6,502 Times in 2,034 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackM View Post
I'm applying extra coats of tung oil, as recommended by the maker, to two pairs of fancy grain Herrett stocks. I've applied five or six coats, allowing at least twenty-four hours drying time and knocking each coat down with OOOO steel wool. My question is this: how best do I apply the last coat? Thin it with mineral spirits? Do I steel-wool it and apply paste wax? Leave it as is? As is will be a little glossier than I'd like so that part is probably answered already. Thanks in advance.
I am a fan of Tung Oil finishes. Hand rubbing 100% tung oil presents best results for my needs. I generally cut the oil with mineral spirits or turpentine for the first application, allowing the solvent to carry the oil deeper into the wood. Subsequent applications are not thinned, and are very light to allow for absorption, but not sticky caking messes. More is not better for an application, rather have more single applications. If the manufacturer suggests tung oil, use tung oil. "Tung oil finishes" may or may not contain tung oil. Check the ingredients or MDS sheet. Last I checked, years ago, Minwax had no tung oil in it. Not a fan of tung oil "finishes" if I want a true long lasting oil finish. I have learned to enjoy a final coat or two of Tru-Oil for certain applications, but not all. For abrasives, I steer clear of steel wool. I have had issues in the past when over time micro bits of steel wool under the finish will oxidize and make a mysterious mess. I use Scotch-Brite type pads that are available in many varieties at woodworking supply places. Best of luck.