View Single Post

Old 05-10-2017, 10:12 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 403 Times in 121 Posts
Default Newest Single Shot

1891 SERIAL NUMBER WONDERS
I have lettered 1891's both ways! The serial number on the butt of 10 inch Target Barrel Single Shots (letters as a single shot) but numbered under the target grips on the butt. Also have revolvers, sold as revolvers, numbered on the front strap. After seeing this several times over, I have concluded that S&W may have tried to pick out front strap numbered frames to finish out as single shots, but did not always stick to their rules.

TRANSITIONAL 1ST MODELS
As early as serial number 15,000 on one engraved 1st Model with the grooves. As late as 24,000 with flat sides, no grooves. Earlier than 22,000 with the cylinder hand cut in the frame and no cylinder hand.

TWO PIN FRAME 2ND MODELS
The first model two pin frames but without the recoil shield, shipped as second models as late as serial number 1500. Under serial number 1500 with mostly the "Model of 91" 1891 first model single shot barrels. Then later matching serial numbered one pin frames in the 2800 range, but with the "Model of 91" marked barrel.

COMBO SETS
Combination sets with serial numbers on the butt, target grips and standard grips included.
Now that I brought this up, I need to revise the serial number list of extra (lone barrels) for the single shots or combo sets missing the correct barrel. Tried to match up owners with their missing barrels once a long time back. I have a couple single shot first models that were sold as combo sets...but... the extras got lost along the way.

I will break out my old notes and continue later. I find the Single Shots and 3rd Model .38 SA to be a continuing educational for me!

Terry Wagner

============================================================================================
The Following 3 Users Like Post: