View Single Post

Old 05-11-2017, 11:02 AM

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy4evr View Post
When I had to tighten one . I used a spring loaded clothes pin gripped with just my hand . I would " snug " it then give it about 1/16" more . I didn't say 1/16th of a turn , just nudge it about 1/16" of an inch more tight. It has never taken more than a 2nd time to stop them from coming loose . I always place 3 spent cartridges in the cylinder first so I'm not putting pressure on the alignment pins on the back face of the cylinder .
I'm going to try with a clothes pin held tight with vice grips. I'll put the clothes pin under where the yoke would be encase the rod gets any markings that would then be covered up by the yoke. I also have some thin copper tape. I'll probably cut a small piece and wrap around the rod once to help eliminate any markings on the rod.

I did notice there is a gap between the crane and frame when closed. I'm guessing Smith and Wesson have just gotten sloppy making sloppy fitting vs. a tight fit.

Also when opening the cylinder, I notice the end of the rod likes to hang on the spring piece at the muzzle. Looks like the center pin may be a little too short, thus that spring piece on the end catches on the lip of the rod. I've got a new center pin ordered anyways, so I'll compare length to the old one.