View Single Post

Old 05-11-2017, 12:14 PM

Liked 3,903 Times in 1,519 Posts

I think you are wise, Sir! S&W didn't just arbitrarily make that judgement about the use of their product. There had to be some events that they are aware of that resulted in this statement. Yes, it probably has to do with liability as well. Folks do a lot of things that they want to do in spite of common sense reasons not to do so. Many of them seem to get by with these things and so they highly recommend doing so. You pay your money and you take your chances, but if you go beyond the advice of the manufacture, then the responsibility for any negative consequences is on you. Sadly, the manufacturer gets the blame in most cases.

I've seen reloaders exceed all the printed and recommended bounds for hot loading cartridges with sooner or later negative consequences. Even if there is no kaboom, the accelerated wear and tear on the weapon platform is unavoidable. And if I happen to buy one of these stretched and overstressed guns on the used gun market, well ... I'm not happy!

Each of us must make our own choices and take our own chances. Yes, I have fired my own reloaded ammo in several guns over the years. But I am not interested in doing anything but maybe creating a load that is within the recommended bounds of safety that is maybe also a bit more accurate or less expensive than the ammo available from factory producers with a good reputation. I do not allow my reloads to be shot by anyone else, and I DO NOT shoot anyone else's reloads knowingly. I also do not quietly sell any gun that I know might be suspect in fit or function. I like to sleep at night. I am very careful and cautious about taking anyone's advice about this sort of thing, especially when I see that they have done something without any kind of real testing beyond "my gun hasn't blown up yet!"

I'm just stating my own policies here, having gotten some experience the hard way and having tried hard to learn from the negative experiences of others along the way. Manufactures who sell products to make money do not advise against something that they could make money doing for no good reason. Sadly, there are a few who are only interested in making money and will not do this because they know some folks will buy their product thinking that if it's for sale, it's gotta be safe and good. Me personally, I just like to err (if I do that) on the side of caution! But like John Wayne famously stated in one of his movies, "I think a man oughta do what he wants to do!", even when he has been cautioned against it. Just give me time to get out of the way!!!