View Single Post

Old 05-12-2017, 01:28 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 20,598 Times in 8,583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
Well, life got a lot more complicated. I am now the proud possessor of an original K-32 barrel, never installed, as new, with narrow rib. I thought it was going to be the later one but in a weird, wonderful swing of Karma, I got the barrel I wanted all along, the one to match my 1948 vintage K-22 and K-38 guns with narrow ribs. Now I can build exactly what I want.

So why complicated? On the assumption that I was getting a late style barrel, I found a very nice Model 14-3 to use as my donor gun. I got it right on GB because it had a set of really ugly Goodyears and was poorly described as to amount of blue loss. Now that it's here, the Goodyears came off and a pair of the proper football relief targets went on. With a little cleaning, it looks much better than expected. The fat rib won't match the narrow one on the barrel, so it's disqualified as a donor, but it is really pretty nice. Now my dilemma... what do I do with another K-38? Should I keep it and expand my herd in a new and unexpected direction, or trade it off for the donor gun I'm going to need to go with the barrel (and K-22 cylinder I already have for reboring) or what? Should I mention that the 14-3 has a really good trigger pull? Complications!

Oh yeah, and I also have this gorgeous LERK K-22 barrel to find a home for. See what I mean? Complications!

the confused Green Frog
Froggie,

I feel your pain.

However: don't you want the donor gun to be a 5 screw to match the other two with narrow ribs? I would. Sell/trade the 14-3 wide rib, for a 5 screw narrow rib K38. Sell the K22 Lerk barrel.

One part I don't understand though: the new 14-3 K38 donor gun may have a wide rib on the barrel, but the frame is almost identical.
The only difference I know of is the two corner divots on the front end of the top strap for the narrow rib barrel. I looked at my 5 screw K22 with narrow rib, and Mod 14-4 wide rib to confirm it. So there's just another 10 minutes of work since you have a K22 frame to look at and copy the divots or have them copied.

But I'd still hold out for a 5 screw narrow rib K38.

Don't let the Siren of a nice trigger blind you to your quest, lest Lorelei pull you onto the rocks!
S&WCA #819

Last edited by Hondo44; 05-12-2017 at 01:32 AM.