View Single Post

Old 05-12-2017, 07:47 AM

Liked 30 Times in 17 Posts

It's an issue for some of us. I agree, the OP has a point.

What you have to do is compromise your "comfort" for a good reason - or three.

I've carried my wallet in the right rear most of my adult life. I have, at least, tried not to stuff it with every gas card, receipt, membership ID, or coupon I've ever had come to me. Serving in the military and being in the field or deployed will quickly get you to thinking about it. I don't see large bulky wallets carried when living in a foxhole or tent for weeks at a time. When your house is on your back, every ounce becomes questionable.

I only carry required ID - a few credit cards - a pizza coupon, and try to clean it out periodically. Lately I've been considering a new wallet and the choices are all relatively bad - all the retailers carry leather folding envelopes with multiple layers which when loaded up are sometimes physically impossible to put in a front pocket.

Considering how much we fuss and fidget over a folded piece of leather to hold the gun, the comparison is pretty humorous. How many have a drawer full of holsters looking for the best fit, but soldier on regardless with a wallet designed to carry paper money in a world of credit cards and same shaped ID? We are using a design that gelled in the 1930's for our modern century 2000 life.

Goes to price, too. My last three wallets all cost less than $10 each, I just hope and pray my next holster was that cheap. But, I would be strongly cautioned that it couldn't be decent quality or durable if it was. Yet a wallet is given a pass?

Been giving it a LOT of thought lately.

Point being that if you carry, even the wallet needs to be subordinate to where you place the gun and access to it. Yup, IWB/OWB near 4:00 can interfere with wallet access, so even if we have carried it there 50 years or more - like the OP or me - it's not a good thing to make the gun move when that is apparently where it belongs.

Which is the more important "muscle memory" skill, accessing the gun under stress, or the wallet? Shouldn't be any question about it. If you carry, and the wallet is in the wrong place - move it. You will get used to it. There's the black and white choice.

Now, if it's going to move, then where? Left side, or front pocket? Regardless, if you give some thought to holsters and cost, then treat your wallet the same. In my experience there are three major failings of wallets in a credit card world - stitched seams, plastic windows, and multilayer construction. Reduce or eliminate them as much as possible. Wallets with lots of separate pockets one for each card just means that each card gets it's own place to accumulate grit which sands the card down, instead of letting it filter thru. We don't carry guns that trap dirt or holsters with closed bottoms because of it, don't carry a wallet that does the same.

Seriously consider the new minimalist wallets and changing up where you put it. If you can carry a cell phone in your front pocket - you can carry a wallet on the other side. It cleans up access, keeps from flashing the gun, and also limits losing it. Let yourself look at those as pricey as a holster and you will get into a whole different class of utility and function, too. It's something you will carry for ten or twenty years - might as well be durable and high quality. If that sounds like it's extravagant, put it in a cost per year basis. A $85 holster is less than $8 a year in service life, why not a wallet? I can tell you an $8 wallet will get you about the same quality as an $8 holster, why buy a headache - or back ache - by cheaping out on a piece of EDC gear that is critical toward securing your financial instruments?

We give more thought to what pocket knife we carry - and money, too.