View Single Post

Old 05-14-2017, 06:15 AM

Liked 121 Times in 48 Posts

In my travels, I've picked up a couple of RR knives in lot purchases. They are of decent quality, but clones of US made originals. Decent clones, but clones nonetheless.

That's how I view Taylor Brands' Schrade OT knives, but without the same quality as RR. I will admit...The purchase of BT by S&W prompted me to purchase a Deerslayer and a Sharpfinger version of the original, just to have as a comparison for future collecting. I spent less than $35 for the pair of knives...and they are as cheaply made as they are priced. Fit and finish, along with quality, went out the window. It's very easy to spot the differences, not just in materials used, but in how everything feels in the hands. Heck, the blade on the Deerslayer is warped, and the Sharpfinger is ground off center of the rest of the blade. There's even a ripple on the left side of the blade cause from poor quality workmanship.
I'm keeping these in their boxes, just in case production is ever returned to the US shores, or the QC of days past returns.

My original Sharpfinger rarely leaves my side. I've carried it nearly every day since I bought my first one in 1988. For me, it's the perfect combination of pocket knife size with fixed blade strength. I've skinned and cleaned a number of chicken, rabbit, squirrel, and even deer with the blade. I can probably count how many times I've actually had to take a stone to the edge on 1.5 hands, because with proper maintenance and a good knife steel, it keeps it's edge for a long time.

I've always had one version or another of Old Timer in my possession, all the way back to my 6th birthday, when my grandpa gave me my first one. The first one is gone now, lost to youthful ignorance, but the memory is alive in it's vintage replacement.

I would dearly love to have production return to the US, and am sure it could be done on a level that sales would be brisk enough to support the company. There are many folks that made them that are still alive today, and know the tricks to grinding them properly to keep them authentic to the original.

This is one of those dreams where I just wish I had the money to make it happen...