Thread: ALLOY FRAMES
View Single Post

Old 05-14-2017, 05:41 PM

Liked 18,473 Times in 7,310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTVEN View Post
UNLIKE YOU MY FRIEND, I AM NO ENGINEER OF ANY SORT. HOWEVER, I WOULD LIKE TO AGREE WITH WHAT YOU SAY. MY BIGEST QUESTION ABOUT REMOVING ANODIZING HAS BEEN: THE PISTOL IN ITS CURRENT STATE, HAS BARE ALLOY SHOWING ON ALL ITS FRAME EDGES AND AT RANDOM POINTS LIKE THE FRONT STRAP. THAT IS WEAR THAT HAS OCCURED FROM ITS 30 YEAR SERVICE, AND NOT FROM ANY SORT OF ABNORMAL ABUSE. ALSO, THE SLIDE RAILS ON THE FRAME ARE WORN CLEAN (NOT BLACK ANYMORE) FROM THE SLIDE RECIPROCATING. DOES THIS MEAN THAT THE FRAME HAS BECOME WEAKER BY MERE USE??? I ALSO AGREE THAT REMOVING TOO MUCH OF ANY MATERIAL WILL CAUSE ISSUES. BUT IF REMOVING MERELY WHAT A HOLSTER MAMAGED TO REMOVE, HOW WEAKER COULD IT GET? PROBABLY NOT MUCH?
ANYHOW, I AM LEANING TOWARDS TO DOING IT. SO, MOST PROBABLY I WILL KEEP YOU ALL POSTED WITH THE OUTCOME. THANX FOR THE INSIGHT FRIEND.
I think it unlikely that the amount of wear it has experienced has significantly weakened it in any way. They are designed to experience wear and still remain strong enough to function safely.

An essential principle of mechanical design is to build any machine with a safety factor of making it a minimum of 25% - 100% stronger than it actually needs to be in order to withstand the stresses it is expected to be subjected to.

Guns are no different. IIRC the normal "proof loads" for firearms are 150% of SAAMI max pressure for a given caliber - and quality modern firearms are designed to withstand that as a minimum.

So I think it very unlikely that your gun is worn to the point of being unsafe, and even more unlikely that you would weaken it enough to make it unsafe by removing the finish.
The Following User Likes This Post: