View Single Post

Old 05-15-2017, 05:14 AM

Liked 121 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshwheeling View Post
Is that the Swinden key system? Is there a reason to prefer it? I have only heard it vilified, but don't know enough to have an opinion.

I 'd go for some 1095, though.
Likely vilified by tinkerers and knife mechanics who didn't know the way to properly remove and repair them. It's a funky system that they used so that lower skilled workers could assemble at a lower price, extending company profits...kinda like the cheaper priced shell handled knives. There's a trick to taking them apart. The pivot point of the Swinden key system seemed to be a bit of a weak point if you pry with the blade...but that's not what you're supposed to do with a knife, right? Personally, I've not come across one that was mechanically worn out...but have seen a number with over sharpened and worn out blades.

If they can't bring back complete production of the OT and UH line of knives, they could at least come up with limited numbers made here in the US to test desireability and collectability. I'm certain they would be surprised at the reception of US made OT and UH knives made with US made steel and materials. They can keep making the Imperial line of knives overseas for now