Thread: SW Type 1
View Single Post

Old 05-15-2017, 09:07 AM
US Veteran

Liked 14,360 Times in 5,474 Posts

You know what - - - it is your revolver and if you want to shoot it, and there is ammo out there somewhere that is appropriate to do so. Keep looking for CCI BB or CB caps and you will find them at ammunition auctions. I have shot lots of CB Shorts through my Model Ones revolvers with no ill effects for 30 years. A couple of cylinders full once and awhile to remind me of how far S&W has come from its humble beginnings brings a real sense of respect for all those models that have been developed since those early days. Can you break something like a spring or other small internal part, absolutely and you must know that parts are non-existent. Will it explode, heck no, unless you use the wrong ammunition. Your Model One, 3rd Issue shows loss of nickel, but overall looks like it is in very good condition.

That Issue revolver was made from 1868 to 1881 in serial number range 1 - 131,163. They are not worth much on the market, but as an heirloom, value doesn't matter. Not too many Grandmothers were "Pistol Packin' Mamas", so that is a great piece of family history. The stocks could be ivory, which used to be a BIG premium, but now we all worry about the laws and possible confiscation down the road. I believe the current law limits sales of under 200 grams, but you can own the piece and hand it down through the generations. I am quite sure those little stocks would weigh a half-pound. I recall seeing a one of a kind Winchester Lever Action rifle (Model 1866 if I recall correctly) that was totally made with ivory butt and forearm. Valuation was huge at one time, but now it cannot be sold legally.