View Single Post

Old 05-15-2017, 09:10 AM

Liked 20,623 Times in 5,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
Sounds like a great evening. Is your rifle a Savage Mark 2? What is the scope?
Yes, it's the FV-SR. I put a Boyd's stock on it that Savage sells with their TRR-SR. I preferred the 16in barrel on the FV-SR.

When I started this project I was looking for something I could use as a bench plinker for bouncing around bottle caps and shotgun hulls at our plinking range from 60-100yds and also be able to use on our 200yd and 300yd ranges.

I stumbled upon this scope at SnipersHide. Several guys were using them as an interim scope for their builds until they got high-end glass. All seemed generally impressed with the budget priced scope. What I found interesting was the amount of elevation adjustment-- over 100MOA. Mine has 107 from top to bottom. Need a lot of elevation adjustment to accommodate the 22LR bullet drop at distance and to be able to use at short range too. The other thing that was of particular interest were remarks that the mechanism held up well to heavy use. That was important since I'd be spinning the elevation turret a bunch. It has large finger turrets with large markings... easy on old eyes. Instread of a side focus or adjustable objective, it has a rear focus. Don't see a lot of those. Probably a cheaper way of doing it or maybe because it's fixed magnification... I don't know. In any event, the unit works great for what I use it for and at $299 it was easy on the wallet. Marketed and sold by SWFA, SWFA SS fixed 16x. I've used and abused it for a few years and have no complaints other than the eye box is pretty tight.

Even with a good amount of scope elevation adjustment I still needed some help with a scope base. Only could find a 20MOA base. So I called EGW and asked them about it. They said I could buy one of their bases and they'd cut it to 40MOA or I could send them my base and they'd do it for $20. Custom cut base for $20... how great is that! The guys at EGW are fantastic to work with. Oh, they also included shorter mounting screws. I use TPS extra low rings.

Hey Vonn, yes subsonic. I mostly use CCI Standard Velocity. Remarkably consistent ammo without paying match prices. If I'm shooting at paper sometimes I'll use Wolf Match or Aguila Match Rifle. Kinda like the Aguila... smells like burnt pineapples.

The Following 5 Users Like Post: