View Single Post

Old 05-15-2017, 03:51 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 3,356 Times in 681 Posts

About 2 1/2 years ago, I decided I would like to have some nice S&W revolvers to go along with the only one I had ever owned, a 17-4 that I purchased new in 1980 and was/is in 99% condition. Since the one I owned was a "Masterpiece", I decided I would start there and obtain all the other "Masterpiece" versions. First one I bought was a 14-1. Paid top dollar for it, but I was happy. Then I followed up with a 15-4 and a 19-4. Each of these were very nice shooter grade, 95%, and I paid a whopping $415 for each one, off of GunBroker no less. Figured I would never be able to afford a 16 (K-32 Masterpiece), but I came across one at a local auction and got it for about 50% of the value. Really lucked out on that one. My next one will probably be a Model 18 variant. Obviously, I like blued K frames.

I also have now started looking and learning about the older Hand Ejectors, more specifically .22/32 HFT and .32 HE. I have purchased the newest edition of the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, and spend quite a bit of time on this forum, trying to soak up as much information as I can. The knowledge that presents itself on this forum is incredible. When in doubt, ask the folks here and you will get an honest answer. I also spend time on Gunbroker, looking at what prices the guns I am interested in are selling for, not what the asking price is.

The one thing you might want to consider is getting the more expensive ones you desire first. These will always be more expensive and the least expensive ones will always be the cheapest. And it seems to me that the more expensive ones go up in price faster and farther.

At any rate, it is a very enjoyable "hobby" and it keeps me out of trouble. Enjoy it and have fun.

Last edited by kscharlie; 05-15-2017 at 03:54 PM.