View Single Post

Old 05-15-2017, 05:28 PM

Liked 25,571 Times in 8,655 Posts

I have been reloading many years now (about 35+) and YES complete concentration must be given to the task 100% of the time. I don't like anyone around when I reload for fear of distraction and I never watch TV while reloading either.

There are many things you should check constantly:

* make sure you do not have an incorrect caliber that sneaks into your cartridge plate. ex: .38 spl. in a .357 Mag. or .44 in a .45 Colt.

* make sure even if the caliber is correct, the primer size is also the correct one - ex:: 45 acp comes with large AND small primers!

* make sure your always throwing the intended powder charge AND that you have adequate powder in the hopper - check often

* check for foreign objects (like .22 cases or debris) inside the case before loading. Sometimes even tumbling media gets clogged inside.

* check for the occasional inverted primer

* make sure your dies are clean - I usually clean mine every 500 - 700 rounds while loading waxed lead bullets. Wax can make bullets seat too deep or clog up the works.

* Lube press so you do not need to exert excess force which in turn can screw things up

* ALWAYS wear safety glasses or face shield!!!!!!

* don't load when you are troubled, have something on your mind or under stress - they take your mind off of what you are doing.

Last edited by chief38; 05-15-2017 at 05:31 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: