View Single Post

Old 05-15-2017, 07:56 PM

Liked 3,927 Times in 2,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by federali View Post
It's a common enough thread where a forum member decides to get into reloading and starts with a progressive press. There's too much going on for the beginning reloader. Inexperience can be dangerous. Better to learn on a single stage press unless you can arrange for the guidance of an experienced tutor.

We each have our reloading protocols and my protocol is to look into each and every case as it leaves the charging station on my Dillon 550B. An empty case has never made it past the charging station but occasionally, spilled powder tells me that a sized casing did not pick up a primer at station one, the powder flowing out the flash hole.
I started on a ss press 40yrs ago, still have it, Today though, at least for pistol shooters, I have no problem recommending a good progressive as their first press & just using it as an inverted turret. Load one round at a time until you feel the process is fully understood, then start loading progressive. If you shoot 500rds a week, full time job, maybe couple kids, you are burning out trying to do that on a ss press. Progressives can be safer than ss press because you don't handle the cases as often. You see the powder charge as you advance the shell plate or as the case auto advances. Place the bullet & move on. You are only looking at one case with powder each time, certainly better than looking into 50 cases in a loading block to verify charges.

Last edited by fredj338; 05-15-2017 at 07:58 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: