View Single Post

Old 05-16-2017, 01:54 PM

Liked 56 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasu View Post
158 gr cast bullet and 5.1 gr of N340. The Vihtavuori guide says max for jacketed 158 gr bullet is 7.7 gr.

The velocity from a 20" lever action is 1100 fps. Cowboy Action rules require to stay under 1400 fps out of a rifle.

I shot 15 of these reloads today with no problems.
It looks like you're just above Vihtavuori's suggested minimum load for a 158 cast bullet and using their maximum for a completely different JACKETED bullet as a maximum?

"Squibs are a possibility, but being cast bullets they should be quite slippery coming out of the barrel. I made some mistakes while operating the press, but the powder measure does its own thing regardless of my clumsiness so the charges should be OK and I already pruned out the one powderless cartridge."

You think some of your loads might not have enough powder in them but lead is really slippery so as long as there is "some" powder in the case the bullets will slide out the barrel? And the powder measure is correct regardless of how poorly you operate the press except for the one you had that didn't have any powder in it? (Not counting the one you found that had neither powder NOR bullet in it.) But your plan is to shoot them instead of pulling them to see if there are any more bad ones. Wow.
The Following User Likes This Post: