View Single Post

Old 05-16-2017, 06:14 PM

Liked 2,227 Times in 945 Posts

I just finished conducting a kind of extensive test. My forearm is tight from as many times as I dry fired. LOL. My trigger is heavy though. Which is good. The more I dry fire it the more smooth it gets.

Anyways... I have 3 sets of grips. 2 are boot, and 1 the the hogue tamers. All of them seem to have a bit of a compromise going on. Oh yeah, I brought out my set of K frame magnas, for the heck of it..... Obviously they don't fit, but they kind of did when I overlayed them on the frame. LOL. They actually felt pretty good. hehehehe

Those laminated ones are the one I like the best, but in the end I put the Hogue Tamers back on for 2 main reasons.

1. I carry AIWB and the bigger grip allows for a much easier draw, just acquiring the gun in my hand out of the holster. And since I'm carrying it that way, it's not overly big.

2. If I don't have my right hand just so, my thumb can actually stop my trigger finger. It has to be in the right spot in order for this to not happen. Which makes the gun sit a little higher in my hands. This never happens with the tamers. My right thumb is never in the way.

I did try the right thumb straight thing, but I have less control over the trigger and I feel like I really have an opportunity to let my left thumb slip too far forward during recoil and might not make sure it's far enough back at times.... That could be bad.

I like the laminated boot grips the best, WHEN I have the right hold on it. I'm able to work the trigger faster and they look good. But they are also harder to grab at speed. A different holster might help that. One that rode a little higher. I'm using a leather Galco, but I'm not sure if it's the right kind or not.

I guess my fingers aren't all that long, but that thumb can at times get in the way of the trigger finger and it's not good when it does that. Sometimes it just touches it. Which is fine. But a few times it stopped my trigger finger altogether. And trying to place my trigger finger a little further out just feels all wrong and doesn't really stop that from happening. I'd have to go all the way out to the freaking tip to get it to not touch the thumb.

The stock boot grips seem like they make this problem happen even more than the laminated ones.

I'm sure the boot grips would have much more felt recoil too. But they are more concealable, and allow me, like I said to have a bit more trigger control and I can actually work it faster.

Actually I think the ideal would be the laminated ones with some rubber wrapped around them to give the backstrap some beef to move my hand back just a bit. And soak up a little of the recoil, yet still allow me the better trigger control.

I sometimes see guys wrap some kind of friction tape around their grips. Like on hockey sticks. Anyone see that or use that method?

If I did pocket carry, I think the boot grips would work just right because you may have a little leeway in getting your hand on the gun properly. No belt in the way and might have more time by already having your hand on it if things look wonky. With no one being the wiser that your hand is on a gun.

The other upside the boot grips might bring is that sometimes the takedown lever draws blood from the first knuckle of my right thumb. Because the tamers puts my thumb higher and in a position that is easier to do.

Last edited by ABPOS; 05-16-2017 at 06:23 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: