View Single Post

Old 05-17-2017, 05:16 AM

Liked 2,483 Times in 1,147 Posts

I only chrono loads very occasionally any more. Mostly because I don't care how fast the bullets fly, just that they all arrive at the same spot on the target, more or less. And don't beat me up too much! Interestingly enough, when I was using .44 loads from the books, they pretty much did as advertised, anyway. Doesn't work that well with rifles, usually!

Kdiver58 had his chrono out so some of the IMR4198 swaged lead bullet loads were run through not long ago. 1000 fps, ES in the single digits! Not economical, nor free from unburned powder (and how!), but haven't had to clean a bore in a couple of years and the accuracy is better than anything else I've tried using non-jacketed projectiles. Misses are either operator or maybe dinged bullet bases. (Generally I regulate to the "2nds" box about 15-20% of the swaged bullets (more cast!) I buy. It's that "go-no go" selection that haunts. "Is this one good enough???"....)

At any rate, finding what works at 100 or 200 yards is the big drama. 25 yards is good for culling out the terrible loads but often not much more.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: