Thread: Guns lose value
View Single Post

Old 05-17-2017, 09:17 AM

Liked 9,470 Times in 4,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeahya View Post
I also love when guys don't read the whole thread and comment...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeahya View Post
Plethora of variables here Next time unbutton your top button, and read the whole thread! Not an "investment"...we got it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladder13 View Post
Get used to it, happens all the time.
Yeah, this thread has really gone off the rails with this mistaken notion that someone has actually advocated buying plastic guns as investment pieces bought to yield a profit. No people! Chill out! It's exactly the opposite!

Another thing: The term "investment" can mean different things... and in the context of typical (non-dealer) firearms accumulating/collecting, it generally means a simple, reliable, physical store of wealth... not speculating or trying to produce an income or profit. In fact, many would argue that would be illegal in a strict reading of Federal law.

Most of us are happier if our guns don't lose value just sitting in the safe. Yes, with use and wear (especially excessive wear & tear), any gun can lose value. Some will also rise in value over time. But what we are seeing here is plastic guns nosediving in value not even accounting for use or wear & tear... and that is a little disturbing to some of us. But it really shouldn't have been entirely unexpected given how cheap they are to make.

I was one of the damn fools who bought a Shield .45 just a few days before the first hints of the rebate hit the Interwebs. Do I feel I got the Big Zingaroo from S&W and somewhat from my dealer too? Yes, I do. Turns out I threw away a C-note (or more as it turns out) for nothing and I can't afford to do that sort of thing too often on my pitiful retirement income. So lesson learned the hard way for me: No more plastic ever again unless it's something I really, really need.

Last edited by TTSH; 05-17-2017 at 09:30 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: