View Single Post

Old 05-17-2017, 11:46 AM

Liked 3,927 Times in 2,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwhit View Post
I do sort my brass by manufacturer and year (where year is stamped), but even if I didn't I would still weigh each completed round. This would not to be to establish whether the powder charges were consistent (for single stage guys like me, the time for determining that is when the powder is being thrown and trickled up to weight), but to verify that I don't have a double charge of powder.

All of the pistol cartridges I load (9mm, 38Spl, 45ACP) are susceptible to being double-charged. The 38Special could even be triple=charged. Even brass that varies by a grain or two from manufacturer to manufacturer will not disguise a double charge of nearly 5 grains of powder.
Really you are wasting your time trying to find a double charge of fast burning powder in larger pistol cases. Weigh 10 empty case, in a 45acp, they can vary 3-4gr easy. Add variation in bullet wt, even primer weight, you can see where that is going. In a rifle case, pretty hard to double charge unless you are using small charges of pistol powder.

Last edited by fredj338; 05-17-2017 at 11:48 AM.