View Single Post

Old 05-17-2017, 12:52 PM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 4,671 Times in 1,606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowe View Post
I believe that the factory almost always stamped the serial number on factory installed sights. Sometimes where you cannot see them without removing the sights. They also stamped the sight blade on some models. Interesting gun and I have not seen a 38 DA target gun that was lettered as coming from the factory.

In the late 1800s and early 1900s, you could order target sights for additional cost and maybe the 1918 return was to have target sights added. They were available on Single Shots, 38 Single Actions, and Perfected revolvers, which are all the same top-latch as your top break. I think this one might benefit from a letter to determine originality, because I do not think many 38 DAs came with target sights.
I concur that not many DA 38 top breaks show up with factory target sights and, if factory, the latch should be numbered to the gun, also, stamped on the base of the front sight.

The serial number on the rear latch number is always stamped and clearly visible. If not number stamped would likely indicate a replaced latch.

Unfortunately it would require carefully removal of the front sight with the proper sided cup tip punch with hand pressure rather than tapping with a hammer to prevent accidental damage, to view the serial number stamped on the lower section of the front sight, beneath the barrel rib line, just above the retaining pin hole.

Many guns with replaced front sights are found with an over-sized pin due to a stubborn pin or extraction of the factory pin with an improper tool.

Over the years I have added to the BBGV on the New Model 3 Target revolvers (having the same but larrger front sight and rear latch set up) that there should be no deduction for a replaced (factory OEM replacement ) front sight as they are very delicate. The slightest tap could bend or damage the front sight, however, the rear latch number must match the serial number.

Naturally, the gun must letter as being shipped with target sights.

You took an educated risk and it paid off. Congrats. It is an unusual target configuration as the undisputed "king" of the target revolvers were the New Model 3 Targets which shipped to about 1912 by special order, and were still sought by target shooters for many years after. Soon after the 1899 was released all target versions of it and all subsequent revisions were an option. Very few 1899 Targets exist but all subsequent models up to and including the 1905, 4th, target variations were optional but more frequently encountered in the 1905 4th than previous models.

On the 1899 and subsequent hand ejector .38s there are few encountered in the earlier years that hold a relatively high premium, with the 1905, 4th the most frequently encountered in Target variation due to the quantity and longest year ranges of production of the series.

Frankly, had I found this gun with an un-numbered rear latch, I would likely have passed it by unless the price was extremely reasonable and / or there were some other hint of it being a factory target sighted revolver. The 6" barrel is one of those "other" indicators that would have supported a possible factory target sighted gun.

If was well known the first series of Double Action S&Ws didn't have the nicest and smoothest of trigger pulls, most noticeably the .44 DA first model was atrocious. Even with a single-action pull on the DAs were not anywhere near as smooth at the single shots.

Last edited by model3sw; 05-17-2017 at 01:20 PM.