View Single Post

Old 05-17-2017, 04:07 PM

Liked 331 Times in 169 Posts

Phil:

I tried the LCR grip on my SP101 with interesting result.

The Ruger/Hogue Tamer grip fits the SP101 . . . almost. LCR's bizarrely-shaped trigger guard means the Tamer grip leaves a gap of perhaps .250 inch between guard and grip. And, of course, a hole need be drilled-and-tapped for Tamer's anchor screw. This hole would not interfere with hammer spring or revolver's take-down. Other than these two items, the Tamer is a nearly perfect solution for a small concealment grip for SP101s whose size will not cause excessive recoil perception.

In theory, Hogue could offer such a grip for SP101 by creating a mold insert to render trigger guard-grip junction correct for SP101. Since Hogue has dimensions for Tamer grip mold, creating an SP101 mold would be quick and relatively inexpensive to achieve.

Despite being a desirable add-on for SP101s, there is that missing hole. I did not futz with determining whether some sort of fastener (screw??) as occurs with Crimson Trace and other custom grip sets would be feasible. Having typed that, I suspect this would be the marketable solution.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
I tried the Butler Creek boot grip. Its fit is satisfactory and eliminating the tiny space created by Ruger's frame change would be easy but hardly necessary. But the grip I bought was unsatisfactory. Quality control where its anchoring screw - yes, there's the anchoring screw solution - fastens off-side was poor. I screwed grip to frame. Warp gaps. The screw would not unscrew. Once fastened together the screw loosened its female metal anchor in the off-side hemisphere. After trying myriad ways to get screw to move independently of its off-side anchor, I destroyed the grip. Fortunately it was inexpensive.

Last edited by Naphtali; 05-17-2017 at 04:18 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: