View Single Post

Old 05-17-2017, 07:34 PM

Liked 52 Times in 34 Posts

I just took John Farnam's Defensive Handgun course with a steel and an air weight snub. Shot about 200 rounds. Had the magnas and a Tyler T on the 36 no dash and a pachymar compac on the 638. Shot 7 hits on a 5x8 reactive plate with movement and one reload, drawing from pocket and grabbing speedloader from windbreaker pocket in 22 seconds. Made time after ten tries. Used the 638 but the compac grips were a bit too big. Probably would have done better with the 36 and the grips which are a bit too small but nonetheless work better.

Earned the student or second level pin. Might have made the instructor level with an OWB holster and speedloader pouches which probably would have saved me 6 seconds but I was training as I fight not trying to train to the test. I started off using speed strips on the reloads which impressed the instructors but made it impossible to pass the test.

Anyway magnas and the T CAN work but if you want optimal accuracy and speed I would invest in Herrets Detective Stocks or something similar/a touch more concealable. (_No Second Place Winner_ has a photo of old j frame stocks for a round butt designed for concealment for example. ) I find the SP101 with stock grip is about perfect for me, for example.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by njr; 05-17-2017 at 07:36 PM.