View Single Post

Old 05-18-2017, 05:59 AM
Absent Comrade

Liked 12,841 Times in 2,905 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter01 View Post
Do tell!

Well...for those of us in similar situation, who have used that pistol measure for more than 30 years with great satisfaction; It was a sad day when they were discontinued! They do speed up charging pistol cases marvelously! I was tired of using my Lee dippers, although I still have a set that I use...not as Herr Lee suggests, but nonetheless useful.

The only competitor that Hornady-Pacific had in them days was the RCBS Little Dandy, which was, and still is, a good measure, but expen$ive!,

When I bought my Pacific, economics raised its ugly head. I think I got the measure, and maybe 4 bushings for a fraction of what the competition would have cost, and as I progressed, I was able to get more bushings. Iirc, then, they were about ~ $3 with shipping. My last one, bought 2 weeks ago, to fill a remaining hole in the lower charges, was ~$15. I probably won't buy another!

Over the years, I am happy to have filled out my collection with a new# 8 to add to my stable of 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, and 22. That will cover all useful loads with Unique, Universal, 2400, and Trail Boss, plus any other replacements for Unique/Universal that I may want to try.

So, if the bushings won't throw to the last 1/1000gr. of my chosen loads, "Close enough is good enough", except for those of us who insist on the last gnat's nut of "consistency", or maybe who like to hang our backsides over the abyss of "Maximum" loads, they are plenty good, especially if we load on the conservative side, and have found what we envision will do the job. I don't presume that a .1 or .2 gr. variation on one side or the other of a "favorite" load will make a real world difference in either pressure, velocity or effectiveness.

But, that's just me.
If the Pacific Pistol Measure used by the OP is the one that uses the brass bushings that are 1/2" diameter x 1/2" long, there is an easy solution. Just take one of the smaller diameter bushing that is not being used and ream it out a little with a drill. It won't matter one way or the other as far as shooting is concerned. I have 2 of the Pacific measures and they are great. When I worked in the shop back in the day, I made several blank bushings and I just drill them out as needed. Because they are old (like me) doesn't mean they won't work.
The Following User Likes This Post: