Thread: Guns lose value
View Single Post

Old 05-18-2017, 08:06 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaveman View Post
Nah, I never stumble into street corner bargains or anything like that. I make 99% of my purchases on the open market and probably at least 95% of those on GB,......and the vast majority of those GB purchases are Buy Now or Fixed Price sales. I don't often snag a bargain on auction. $300 Glocks are listed there all the time,.....I pass them by at least monthly.

I consider myself something of an expert used gun buyer. I have purchased literally thousands of guns over the years(was an FFL for 15yrs), but have probably not purchased more than a dozen guns NIB,.......until recently. Grabbed four Shields because they're priced right. After June I suspect I'll go back to my regular 100:1 used/new ratio.

I still don't get the logic of railing against a discounted bargain while trumpeting a manufacturer that maintains an inflated MSRP, but then I've owned Glocks for at least 25yrs and am completely unimpressed with their 'perfection'.

And yes, .mil and LE sales can be in the low $200 range,....but they're volume sales that bypass normal dealer/distributor channels and are not subject to FET(which I want to say is 11% because I'm too lazy to look it up). So if you take that into account I'll say that Glock could make a good profit with an MSRP of around $300(like S&W does with the SD series, which is nothing but a low fanfare M&P without the marketing budget).
The SD series are a real bargain. I won one in a grand opening raffle and was impressed with the quality, but they are not an M&P. They have a totally different trigger that is TERRIBLE! After installing an Apex trigger I love it. Identical in size to a Glock 19, but lighter.