View Single Post

Old 05-18-2017, 04:53 PM

Liked 2,227 Times in 945 Posts
Default Can we discuss NY reload and carrying 2 revolvers?

So, as much as I want to heed the call of carrying an auto, I find myself always coming back to my 442. I feel like it's good enough for my lifestyle. Mostly. However, I have always wanted to figure out that, what if I need more scenario. Either for an everyday carry, or for just those times that I feel like I'm going somewhere and would be comfortable with more. I know, some people say then don't go. But sometimes it's unavoidable.

When I travel I just keep a bigger gun in the center console. But obviously that's only there when I'm in the car.

So..... I've been wanting to dial in my set up for when I want more times. And not sure how to.

At present I carry my 442 with a hogue tamer grip AIWB. I used to carry 4 oclock, but I find this better. I don't have a 2nd revolver yet (that I can carry), so I'm trying to figure out which way to go with this. PLUS, I'm trying to figure out how one performs a NY reload properly. I could've swore I read an article that claimed Cirillo (the one the term NY reload has been coined from I guess) actually threw the first revolver down after using what was in the cylinder. Or was it that he had 3, and threw the first one down but kept 2 more on him. I don't know. In fact, that's a good question, what book is that, that talks about his exploits?

So, there you have it, the beginning of the discussion on NY reloads. I would like to get all of your input. I know one thing is for certain, I REALLy like AIWB for my primary spot. And I don't really want to change that.

One guy I know said he will add the 2nd at 4 oclock. That seems like a good idea.

I have been starting to look for what 2nd revolver I want. I already have a Colt DS, but it's out of time. I did find some place to get it fixed (actually a couple). But I'm not sure I want to go that route. The take down lever is the opposite of the J frame and sort of hard to work sometimes. And I'm skeptical that if I get it fixed that it will hold up to shooting a lot. Not that I shoot tons, but still......

I'm leaning towards a steel J frame in the primary spot and then making the 442 the back up gun.

I did fondle a few wheelguns at my LGS the other day. They had a 686+ 3"er, an SP101 DAO 2.25"er and Model 60 Pro series 3"er.

All of those triggers made my 442's feel like ****. Although it's smoothing out with time. I'll be honest, I almost bought that DAO SP101 a while back. It feels really right. And the trigger is really nice. I would also probably be able to handle Plus P's in that but I really don't like them in the 442. I start flinching after a few rounds. The downside is it really does look like the frame is almost un neccesarily big and bulky. Way overkill which just adds weight and bulk. It does feel very good in the hands though. I've never shot one yet.

The 60 Pro had a super nice trigger. But so did the 686. That one I think is just way to big to carry for me. I'm not a big guy. I'm not even sure I could get away with a K frame. Although it would be nice to try a 2-1/2 to 3" to see.

So.... what do you guys do for hardware and software? Does anybody ever practice throwing their first piece down? Seems like it would be hard on the gun. Is that a viable way to do it? Or is a re-holster recommended? I don't even know if there are any trainers out there teaching this or not.

I guess you could lay a blanket or towel down to minimize the damage.

Here's a pic from a Pat Rogers article I read in the last SWAT mag. Only reason I bought it is because a member on another forum I frequent wrote an article about SOPMOD guns and I wanted to read it.

Last edited by ABPOS; 05-18-2017 at 04:56 PM.
The Following 9 Users Like Post: