View Single Post

Old 05-18-2017, 07:21 PM
Banned

Liked 32,463 Times in 7,773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protected One View Post
The last story I read said that Detroit had in excess of 200,000 pit bulls in the city, some with owners, and many roaming free.
I'm going to call baloney on that number. I'll tell you why. For the past two or three days, off and on, I've been doing online searches for stories, news reports, articles, documentaries, etc., etc. on "Pit Bulls" in Detroit. I went as far back as 2010. And how many is "some", and how many is "many"?

So far, I haven't found any source at all for that number. Not one. I found one report from 2016 that estimates there are about 143,000 dogs of all breeds in Detroit. I'm sure there are more now, but still far short of 200,000 Pit Bulls, although the number of them is estimated to be high. But not 200,000 as you say. It's mathematically impossible to have more Pit Bulls than dogs overall. And I seriously doubt every puppy born since last year has been a Pit Bull.

Melissa Miller, Director of Detroit Animal Control says she believes Pit Bulls get a bad rap. Note that she is the director of an agency that is tasked with euthanizing (killing) dogs on a daily basis.

So. Help me out here, please? Give me (us) a link to whatever story you read that says there are 200K Pit Bulls in Detroit. Or just give me a hint and I'll look for it myself. You can even send me a PM if you don't want to post in your thead again. I genuinely want to read that story, because right now, I don't believe it exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protected One View Post
He probably moved because he had no intentions of being a responsible owner...
That isn't anything but pure speculation. The fact is, you don't even know the guy being talked about, and have no idea at all why he moved, do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neumann View Post
It surprised me how some will defend their "pit bull" family members.
Not that it matters, but are you speaking from personally talking with dog owners, or just going by what you read on this forum or other places on the Internet? Irregardless of that, I honestly don't know why it should surprise you. People have different likes and dislikes, people have different opinions, and people make different choices about what dog they want to have. Everyone isn't going to see things the way you do, and they won't see things the way I do, either.

Quote:
I question their motives. There are far more cuddly pets.
You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but what you're really saying is that you question their motives in your mind, right? Rhetorically. I mean, you don't personally go up to someone and tell them you're questioning their motives regarding why they have a Pit Bull, or suggest to them that they get a "more cuddly pet", do you? I suppose some people would put up with that, but overall it's probably a bad idea. Just my opinion, you understand.

Quote:
To those who would defend their "pets" to the death, please have a plan B in mind.
That's pretty vague. What does that mean, "have a plan B in mind"? I don't know what a "pet" is because I don't have any. I do have dogs, though. I don't need a Plan B. I have a Plan A that covers defending my family, friends, home, dogs, etc., etc. Trust me, you do not want to see it in operation.

Note: I've used the term "Pit Bull" because that's what most people use. Fact is, there is no such animal.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: