Thread: Advice on a 696
View Single Post

Old 05-18-2017, 10:00 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 4,495 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by at_liberty View Post
If that needs to be a debate, it should in a different thread. I suggest the OP obtain a copy of the 396/696 article from Dec-Jan 2015 Handloader.
Wrong issue.. it's Handloader issue #293 Dec-Jan 2014, you can get a copy on CD for $5.95: Handloader Single Back Issues on CD-ROM

I'm a long time subscriber, I looked at the article... it's a well written by Brian Pearce (who I feel is on par with Skeeter Skelton in his handloading and handgun knowledge), and worthwhile to read/obtain.

He list loads for 200 - 254 gr bullets, but the key, as Snapping Twig pointed out, is velocity... 900 or below, that's as high as his published loads go, and he said it keeps the pressure level below the level where barrel bulging and forcing cone splitting starts to take place.

He notes that the test gun used was a Model 396 Mountain Lite AirLite Ti, and his best performing loads in it were with the Hornady and Speer 200 grain bullets.

As numerous reloading articles and reloading manuals often mention... you results will/may vary in the gun that you use and the gun used for the load developing/testing.
SWCA #1830 SWHF #222

Last edited by Gunhacker; 05-18-2017 at 10:09 PM.