Thread: Advice on a 696
View Single Post

Old 05-19-2017, 01:40 AM

Liked 5,242 Times in 2,483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhacker View Post
[...] He [Brian Pearce] notes that the test gun used was a Model 396 Mountain Lite AirLite Ti, and his best performing loads in it were with the Hornady and Speer 200 grain bullets.

As numerous reloading articles and reloading manuals often mention... you results will/may vary in the gun that you use and the gun used for the load developing/testing.
I have great respect for Brian Pearce, especially on the topic of revolver reloads. However, the bullet one gun shoots most accurately might not be the best in the gun that rolled off the production line ahead of it or the one behind it. I just restated the second of the two paragraphs I quoted from Gunhacker.

Also, in a gun as light as a Model 396 the heavier bullets' increased recoil can increase the amount of human error in the groups. The Model 396 Mountain Lite had a titanium cylinder in an aluminum frame. While Pearce is not as big a wimp as I he is still human.

I do think this stuff is of interest to an original poster who is deciding whether or not to buy so it does belong here.

I hope we all part company friends. If I can find Pearce's article for free I'll read it.

Last edited by k22fan; 05-19-2017 at 01:42 AM.