View Single Post

Old 05-19-2017, 08:13 AM
US Veteran

Liked 3,944 Times in 1,494 Posts

Once I obtained my LTC, I carried a full sized semiauto in either 9mm. or .40 S&W. I quickly found out that carrying a full sized pistol is no fun (oh the days a few years ago when I carried a Colt's Government Model in .45ACP all day long without complaints). I soon learned that the handgun you will actually carry beats the heck out of anything you leave at home because it was inconvenient. I then started carrying a Model 642-1 in my strong side (right) pants pocket in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster, and a folding lock blade knife in a small pouch on my left hip, and thought that was sufficient.

One night several years ago, I was out walking our two small terrier dogs. I had wrapped a leash around each hand to keep them from crossing each other's paths and tangling their leashes. Suddenly, a woman ahead of us who was walking a pair of Boxer dogs stumbled, fell, and both dogs got away from her and made a bee line for me and my two dogs. It is amazing how fast a pair of Boxer dogs can cover ground, and both were on us very quickly. The heads of both dogs reached my waist level, and they were trying hard to get at my dogs. I could not get the leashes off from around my hands, so I could not get at my revolver, nor my knife, nor the Pepper Spray on my key chain (rear pants pocket). Yep, I was in bad shape. All I could do was turn circles to keep the Boxers away from my dogs, and knee the Boxers every time I had an opportunity to do so. Finally, the other dog owner came and got her dogs off of me.

This incident taught me several things: 1) get your head out of your backside and think before you leave the house; 2) keep at least one hand free at all time; 3) a handgun for each hand can be a good thing to have; 4) always carry a (charged) cell phone when you leave the house - even if you're just going to check the mail or walk the dog(s).

Following this incident, my EDC went from the Model 642-1 to a Model 38-0 in either my off-side front pants pocket, or in my off-side rear pants pocket, and a Model 638-1 in my strong side pants pocket. Both are equipped with CT LG-405 laser grips and loaded with standard velocity .38 Special ammo. I also carry a fully loaded, 8 round speed strip in a small pouch on my belt. Both revolvers are carried in DeSantis Nemesis pocket holsters. I have arthritis in both hands and wrists, and reloading is both slow and painful. For me, if a reload is needed, a NY Reload would work best for me.

Regards,

Dave
The Following 6 Users Like Post: