View Single Post

Old 05-19-2017, 07:55 PM
US Veteran

Liked 4,938 Times in 1,730 Posts

Before my NYPD retirement I started a wholesale woman's clothing business where I needed to go into the old loft buildings in Manhattan's garment center away from the bright light of 7th Ave.

I developed a habit of putting my Colt DS in my coat pocket and kept my hand on it whenever possible.when out and about.

On evening in late fall I entered a very small 2-3 passenger elevator in a run down turn of the century loft building heading to the 7th floor.

The elevator stopped on the second floor and as the door opened a man steeped in and quickly sliced the front of my coat open clear to my undershirt.Without thinking I emptied the 6 rounds from the DS into the assailants chest and then had an empty gun and would have been dead meat had there been an accomplice.

Reloading or getting a 2nd gun out of an ankle holster in that confined space would have near impossible to do quickly enough.

I had no idea I had fired all 6 until until the smoke had cleared.

I put the gun back in my pocket and waited for uniforms to arrive and see me in civilian clothes with only my shield in my hands.Friendly fire at me was in my thoughts.

No cell phones in those days.A UPS guy called 911 and was glad it wasn't him in the elevator.

On stake outs I had my model 10 holstered on my right hip,a pre 70 1911 government model in a Seven Trees shoulder holster and my DS on my left side.An Ithica M37 12ga was at my side.On stake outs we wore a uniform hat,again to avoid friendly fire.