View Single Post

Old 05-19-2017, 08:26 PM

Liked 1,540 Times in 841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsmith View Post
This works extremely well and a bag of it goes a LONG way. I used it for reduced loads on the old Speer recommendation, but I think with the right powders, it isn't really needed.

And today Speer is adamantly against using fillers, which I personally think is CYA Bull. If you don't use too much, it just DISAPPEARS. Maybe it adds a little ash but only a little.

Toilet paper works, if it is all consumed. I saw some guys with a black powder muzzle loader that they said they could fire all day for a few dollars because all they used was TP for wadding.
RWS,I've retained your answer but I could've retained a lot of others that are going the same way.Here's my thinking about why I'm doing it this way;
A few years ago,I read ''my 40 years with the 45-70'' from Paul Mathews.The gentleman knows his stuff and the book is very interesting to read.I remember one place where he mentionned that he didn't lube his cast bullet but just used a ''blob''of grease under it.He said that,if fired immediatly(so that the soft grease would not migrate into the powder and hamper ignition partly or completely),he would not have a single trace of leading.
Starting from there(and since more often than not I don't shoot my reloads right away),I concluded that for hot loads,some bullets would not have enough grease in its groove(s) to do the complete job(that is up to the muzzle)and if I added some insulation,it might help by giving a longer life to the grease in the lube groove(s).
Since after my first tests I found that the time exposure is short enough so that the TP won't ignite,thus doing its job of protecting the bullet base + the fact that if I packed the TP in the available space between bullet and powder so as to use all the space,the thing might act just like the wads (the collapsing one type)in a shotgun.
And like I said,the groups in both my 45-70s and one of my friend's are as good as or better than those with Hornady gas checks.
Since I've never heard of a shotgun with a ringed barrel(exept if there was an obstruction in the barrel)I figure that if the TP is filling the space there shouldn't be any problem.I was just wondering if grounded polysterene would act the same way compressionwise(insulation we know since its flash point is higher than TP).
I've shot a few thousands rds in both a Ruger no 1 and a Pedersoli Billy Dixon Sharps and without a problem exept I'm still looking for these sub 1'' group!I'll keep working on it!
Qc

Last edited by Qc Pistolero; 05-19-2017 at 08:29 PM.