View Single Post

Old 05-19-2017, 09:13 PM

Liked 1,014 Times in 256 Posts
Default Update On My 617-6 Troubles

This afternoon, my 617-6 was returned to me. Some of you may recall reading my tale about a month ago, detailing my misadventures with a used 617-6 purchased from the local Cabela's retail store, and a S&W sales rep. Well, I can now share how the situation was resolved:

After spending some time on the phone with Smith and Wesson Customer Service on the Monday following my purchase, I was issued a shipping label, and a promise to look into the situation. Upon receipt of the gun later that week, the gun underwent inspection, where my initial diagnosis of a bulged barrel was confirmed. Further, when contacted back by CS the following week, they agreed to replace the barrel, on the grounds that their sales rep stepped way out of line when he decided to play gunsmith after he inserted himself into a situation that he had no business being involved in from the beginning.

So, after a particularly intriguing return journey with FedEx, where after pickup from S&W, began and ended its trip at my local distribution center (I live only about 30 mi from S&W ), with a side excursion to Memphis, TN to be "sorted", my 617 came back to me with a shiny new barrel. The repair work appears to be top notch, though the barrel's finish is a little more matte than the frame (Any thoughts on the best way to polish it up to match the rest of the frame is greatly appreciated, but I will probably leave it as is for now...), otherwise no complaints here, and I am very appreciative of the quick and professional service I received. Smith and Wesson earned my business for life, and now their products make up the majority of the handguns I own presently, with the recent trade of my Glock 17 for a 5" M&P 9 Pro.

Anyway, I will post a range report tomorrow...
The Following 7 Users Like Post: