View Single Post

Old 05-19-2017, 11:42 PM
US Veteran

Liked 22,295 Times in 4,529 Posts

After my passion for Smith and Wesson, comes a love for Colts. But I can't for the life of me understand why this is being labeled a "Cobra".

A Detective Special is a Police Positive Special with a 2" (some 3") barrel, and a steel frame. A Cobra is a Detective Special with an alloy frame. An Agent is a Cobra with short stocks, or grips. Alloy frame.

This is clearly a Detective Special if it has a steel frame. Why not call it that?? One of the most famous names in the firearms history. Why muddy the waters by calling it a Cobra? They did the same thing with the poor Commander. Changed the name around over the years til now it doesn't mean much. You wouldn't see Smith and Wesson calling an automatic pistol a "Chiefs Special", or a semi automatic rifle a "Military and Police", now would you??? Of course not, it would get everyone confused!!!

I have two Detective Specials, one pre shroud, and one with a shroud. Two Cobras, one with and one without the shroud, and the same thing with the Agent. Also have a Banker's Special, a Pocket Positive, and a Diamondback with a 2" barrel. So I really like Colt snubs, but I think that I'll have to pass on this one.

Best Regards, Les