View Single Post

Old 05-20-2017, 07:37 AM

Liked 206 Times in 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skjos View Post
If you don't get good chip removal in aluminum you can get a slight over bore. I'm not a machinist, but the mechanics in our shop encounter issues like this if the tooling doesn't provide adequate chip clearance.

Another thing we use for bushing installation is liquid nitrogen, probably not necessary in your application, but cooling the bushing in your freezer may help with the installation.

The progress so far is great, the welded area looks seamless in the pictures; I was anticipating some discoloring, but it looks perfect.
Thanks!

Under good lighting you can actually see a very slight difference in the color of the weld. I had planned to have this pistol coated anyway, I'm trying to decide black, or silver, well full disclosure, I'll probably build 2 so I guess I will have one of each.

I have used the hot/cold method in the past when installing bearings into aluminum engine cases. I thought I would likely do the same with the bushing install, I need to determine the correct interference fit for brass to aluminum. Good call on chip removal, in both instances, the counter bore, and reaming the bushing I probably overfed the tool and created that condition. I need to slow down a bit with machining, I'm typically more of a woodworking guy dealing in measurements you can actually see...

Last edited by shoot summ; 05-20-2017 at 07:38 AM.