View Single Post

Old 05-20-2017, 04:31 PM

Liked 87 Times in 26 Posts

I agree about the safety issues and I do wear safety glasses and hearing protection when I shoot for recreation, Always.

I'm new to wearing RX glasses and the point that I guess im trying to express is that, while I dont have a problem wearing my rx glasses while shooting for recreation. I do not want to be dependent on them for the use of my optic if I was having to use my rifle for non recreational purposes.

I went to shoot today with my rx glasses on and ear plug with ear muffs and started zeroing in my irons at 50 yards with a target that was a 12" orange circle with a 1" green bullseye. Even with Rx glasses I could not see any green at all(maybe thats normal, I'm not sure). The target was basically a small orange blur. I kept all shots in the orange but had difficulty finding the center, basically danced all around it but never hit green. Within 25 minutes of shooting it started raining, right as I was mounting the red dot. Lightning came before I got to test it which forced us to leave, so I still have not shot with the red dot. But while looking at the target without glasses through the optic the dot was the size of the the target. It was not a fun day... and the whole time I was zeroing in the irons looking at that orange blur 50 yards away, all I could think of was I wish I had some magnification.... especially as I tried to see the targets at the 100 yard mark.

I know red dots arent for precision, and maybe I should be happy that all shots hit the target at 50 yards the first time using this platform and with these type of iron sights... but theres no way I could consistently hit targets with irons at 100-200 yards... And it sucked knowing that my 1972 stock 10/22 with a cheap tasco 4x32 scope on it could consistently shoot 3-4 inch groups at that distance.

I'm leaning hard towards some magnification... im thinking 1-4 or 1-6 variable power will be how I go.. and this will be bumped to a range rifle, and one of my shotguns will again take over for cqb if ever the need arises.

Last edited by bevans555; 05-20-2017 at 04:36 PM.