View Single Post

Old 05-20-2017, 08:28 PM

Liked 40 Times in 25 Posts

Today I took the Bersa Thunder .380 out to do some testing with the Ruger ARX ammo. I wanted to see how it would do if shot into similar situation to a human torso. I used a piece of flexible rubber scrap that we use to cover tank tops and seal them. it is 1.78mm or about 0.070" think, and pretty resilient. I used it to replace skin. Then I used some Beef Ribs that I bought that are to be used as dog treats, individually wrapped in plastic, that would represent a human's rib. However, anyone familiar with biology structure will know that a cow rib is thicker and larger than a human's rib. So I figured it was the extreme test of rib penetration. Behind it 1 gallon water jugs.

I shot through the rubber, through the rib, and through the 1st jug, which had a large rupture, and into the 2nd jug that almost, but not quite went through the 2nd jug. It hit the other side and caused a crack but the bullet was still in the 2nd jug. This shows me that a torso shot on a human would penetrate skin and bone and also deliver enough energy to drive deep enough to hit the heart, and probably lodge in the back without exiting. This is the lowest of the self defense pistols I have, and wanted to see how it would work. Obviously 9mm and .45 ACP would complete the job in spades.

My wife, who cannot handle very much recoil due to pain and arthritis issues, can shoot this .380 Bersa Thunder, and loves it now that is less recoil. Would it stop a "Bad Guy"? Depends. Most people (90 %) run away at the mere showing of a firearm. If struck, there is the psychological element , "I'm shot!" and then there is the fact that this round should put enough pain and injury to cause panic and flight. Multiple shots might be needed, but multiple shots might be needed on any aggressor regardless of the caliber or bullet, EVEN HST or Ranter T. In other words, THERE IS NO ABSOLUTE guarantee any pistol will kill an intruder.

Below are pictures showing the rubber piece 1.78mm, the rib which is around .257" where the bullet entered, and shows entry and exit. And the pic of the water jug of the bullet entering immediately after the rib, and then the final bullet.

The beef rib bone before shooting, covered in plastic.

The rubber "imitation" skin...

Bullet enters the rib this side:

Bullet exits the rib:

Ruger 380 ARX enters water jug after just exiting rib.

Ruger .380 ARX bullet after rubber, rib, 2 gallon jugs of water: