View Single Post

Old 05-23-2017, 06:09 PM

Liked 2,249 Times in 1,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy2525 View Post
With a single knife wielding attacker, it was from 3 or 4 feet out to 20 feet. Exploding off the X isn't contrary to what I'm talking about.

What was taught in the class was you want a stable platform during the moments you're shooting. You don't want your feet dancing or running while you're shooting. You aren't taking up a full isosceles or weaver stance. You aren't pausing to sing the full course of "row row row your boat" before taking the next step.

You move perpendicular to the attacker, away from their weapon, drawing while moving. Even at 3 feet, the perpendicular move provided enough separation to allow drawing from strong side concealment. You pause your feet and turn your body towards the attacker just momentarily so you have a stable platform and then fire from retention. You move again perpendicular to the attacker, away from their weapon. You pause momentarily again so you have a stable platform and fire from retention.

My experience in the class was that people that didn't do the pause to get a stable platform (move and shoot) missed a lot and got stabbed (with a fake knife obviously). The people that paused when shooting (move, then shoot) hit the attacker almost every time before they could be stabbed (the class assumed multiple shots to the attacker before being stabbing stopped the threat).

That was my experience. YMMV.
Whose class was this?