View Single Post

Old 05-23-2017, 08:41 PM

Liked 48 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDelta View Post
Picked up a new 66-8 2.75 last week and I'm having the same issues as the OP.

First trip to the range made it through 60 rounds of .38 special 125gr and 158gr FMJ. No problems.

First six rounds of .357 125gr and I felt like I was getting peppered with metal in the face and hands, nothing too extreme but very noticeable. Switched to 135gr .357 for the next six rounds and experienced the same thing. Next I loaded six rounds of 158gr .357, made it through four rounds before the cylinder locked up and would not advance. After 3-4 min of pushing (beating) the cylinder it finally opened and chunks of jacketing and lead fell out. There was also chunks of lead and jacketing wedged between the top of the forcing cone and frame which is what was binding the cylinder.

Called Smith and its on its way back. I own several pre 2000's S&W revolvers and have never had any issues with them. Extremely dissapointed that this "Combat Magnum" couldn't make it past 14 rounds of .357 magnum before being rendered useless.

This seems to definitely be a production or design issue which hopefully can be corrected because this revolver looks and feels great in the hand.
Sorry for your troubles my friend. Maybe the silver lining here is that there is now more than one (that we know of) documented cases of the exact same problems with the "combat magnum". So if the right hand talks to the left in Springfield, maybe we will get more than a half assed attempt from them to fix the issues. I will have several brands of ammo, both 38 and 357 on hand, when the gun gets back so I can run it through it's paces. In the meanwhile, I went and bought a vintage 66-1 4" from a great forum member here, and wouldn't you know, it gobbled up everything I fed it and it begged for more. Fingers crossed for us both!