View Single Post

Old 05-24-2017, 10:46 AM

Liked 17,296 Times in 6,647 Posts

Just about everyone, except for maybe Colt, has changed from the original design. There is a large industry built around making upgrade parts or performing upgrade services to 1911s.

Last year at the NRAAM I walked the exhibit hall and was amazed that just about every gun manufacturer has one or more 1911 models for sale.

Colt, SW, Kimber, Ruger, Sig, Taurus, Rock Island, to name a few. HK and Charter seem to be the only two name brands that don't have 1911s.

That doesn't mention the specialty houses that make high priced versions or will modify other brands. Or the companies that make parts to improve the accuracy, durability, and reliability of the 1911.

Yes, I've shot a 1911. A $3,500.00 custom built one that a friend of mine owns. It shoots beautifully and has a 3.5 pound trigger. My 457 doesn't have a 3.5 pound trigger, but it also shoots beautifully. The only modification being a set of Hogue grips that the previous owner put on.

Oh, I seem to remember reading that S&W provided the forged frames for Kimber 1911s. I don't know if that's true and I expect that neither company would confirm or deny it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSDeputy View Post
It could be because they seem to have a propensity to change from the original design. The Walther PPK & PPK/S that they produced are not worth as much as Interarms models. Their 1911 pistols are not worth as much as Colt's. They make some fine firearms, others not so fine. If they were more true to original designs their guns would be worth more, and sell better.