View Single Post

Old 05-24-2017, 04:55 PM

Liked 87 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitwabit View Post
The problem isn't the Red Dot .. its you not wearing your glasses because you can't get a proper fit .. I really feel for you because I have had that happen several times in my 30 plus years of wearing glasses ..
Thank you for your concern and I agree the red dot was fine mechanically, it was my eye that was the problem. I'm happy for you if red dots work for you with glasses, but I didnt feel comfortable with mine, even with my RX sunglasses that do fit properly.... its my regular rx eyeglasses(not sunglasses) that dont fit properly.

I did go out and use the red dot with my sunglasses and didnt care for it. My sunglasses kept fogging, constantly having to alternate between wearing glasses and then taking them off to use my bioculars to check POI, it was just not enjoyable.

Also , I prefer certain features on prism scopes over red dots, specifically the etched reticle and not having to rely on batteries. I will continue to shoot with my rx glasses, but I like knowing that if they should break or I lose/forget them. I can still use my optic. The same with the battery, people always want the longest battery life they can get, etched reticles you can continue to use with a dead battery. But the particular optic's reticle i'll be receiving has a nice dot with 2 rings around it, according to user reviews and youtube videos people with astigmatism are claiming they much prefer a prism scope over a red dot and target acquisition is about the same. I know there is no 1 optic that is perfect for everyone....

Have you tried a prism scope with etched reticle? If not, you might find that you like it more. You'll never know what you actually like best till you try them all. I'm sure you already know this but just in case here is some info regarding astigmatism and red dots aand prism scopes.

Red Dot Sights:
The reason an astigmatism is problematic for shooters who use red dot sights is because the dot is created with a collimating minating mirror. In a normal eye, those beams of light all have one focal point However in an astigmatic eye, those beams of light are refracted into multiple multiple focal points. The result is a blurry, distorted or “bursting” dot.

Polarized glasses and the tiny hole in the BUIS help to sharpen the dot because both devices restrict the light rays entering your eye to only those that are both direct and parallel with the other light rays, eliminating reflections and some of the additional focal points.

Prismatic Optics:
Prismatic-based optics, on the other hand function more like traditional optics (like binoculars or rifle scopes), using lenses and etched glass to produce their reticles. Because of the lack of collimator or mirrors, most shooters with astigmatisms report less aberrations as compared to RDS or HWS systems. One side benefit is that since the reticle is etched in glass, rather than an image that is projected upon it, if a users batteries die or the electronics otherwise fail, most reticles revert to black.

Anyway, different strokes for different folks... thanks again.