View Single Post

Old 05-24-2017, 06:20 PM

Liked 87 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
Your A2 front sight is going to be in the sight picture with the Spitfire AR just the same. Beware, the Spitfire does not co-witness well with irons because it's a prismatic design and not a 1x reflex design. "Well...today I talked to Vortex technical person who was servicing my Spitfire 1X prism scope and he claims it was not defective. We talked again about the co-witnessing issue and two different zeroes and he said that, because this is a prism scope, it should not be used at the same time with iron sights, because of the potential distortion of the front sight". Read post #51 and beyond. Co-Witnessing Sights Issue

With the Strike Eagle the front sight would have disappeared after 2x magnification. And with the Strike Eagle you would be able to use the focus to see everything sharp downfield without wearing your glasses. It's a shame the Vortex guys could not have explained this.

Just to be clear Im 100% happy with my decision on the Spitfire AR

yea, i saw some videos of guys with the strike eagle and the sport 2 and the front sight was just under the reticle at 1x, similar to a red dot sight picture. I also saw some other images where the fixed front sight encroached on the reticle. I was aware that after 3x the front sight would fade out and not be visible.

I also was on the fence about the strike eagle or spitfire AR. If I had a nice 18" or 20" precision AR with flip up front sight instead of a carbine length, fixed front sight, sport 2 budget rifle. I would have definitely got the strike eagle because its definitely a nicer optic.

However, some of my reasons for going with the Spitfire AR over the strike eagle are that I originally wanted my AR for CQB/shtf/plinking. The spitfire will handle that equally as well if not better. As far as cowitnessing, if the battery dies the reticle is still there... now if the optic was destroyed a QD mount is avaiable, but I would have bigger problems if I was doing something to completely destroy an optic.Also I would of had to pay $140 for exchange plus still buy a mount ($90), and not be 100% sure if the reticle was going to be impeded with the Strike Eagle. The Spitfire is 1x and still has an illuminated "dot" with a larger ring around it, so its similar to a red dot like my original plan, but will work better for my eyes. Also the strike eagle with mount weighs 1.5 lbs, whereas the spitfire with mount is 11oz, this will help as I still intend to add a flashlight.

Bottom line, im not locked into an optic for life. I still plan on getting a variable power scope like the strike eagle or pst viper, I just want them for a different rifle built more for precision. This also gives me a reason to purchase a new rifle and scope which is never a bad thing.

Last edited by bevans555; 05-24-2017 at 07:24 PM.