View Single Post

Old 05-24-2017, 11:28 PM

Liked 369 Times in 132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zogger52 View Post
I am interested in one of these for home defense and range use. Any more comments after having it for awhile?

Txs!
I finally was able to shoot it Sunday. It is fantastic!

The previous two weeks I did a fair amount of dry firing with snap caps to help get used to and break in the trigger. I also bought a 357 laser bore sight off Amazon and used it to dial in the sights, which turned out to be a great investment because the windage was way off.

I shot 64 rounds through it. I left the trigger stock. The trigger shoots better than it measures. On my cheapo Timney scale the DA measures just under 9 lbs and the SA is just under 4 lbs and crisp. The revolver balances great and the trigger pull is a joy to exercise. DA is a nice, smooth pull from start to finish. I don't stage DA pulls, and you don't need to on this one because it's easy and smooth from start to finish. The SA is crisp and almost unfair how easy it is to shoot.

I'm not a great shot but I grouped shots well for me. I was a little to the right and mostly one large hole from the bull to 8 ring not counting the occasional flyers. I shot two hands unsupported from 5 yards out to 10 yards using 125 Gr Freedom Munitions 38, 125 Gr 38 +p Golden Sabers and 125 Gr 357 Golden Sabers. Felt recoil was nothing on the 38 and not much more on the +p's. The 357 Golden Sabers were louder but still pleasant to shoot...I could have shot them all day. Next I'll try some higher power 357 Federal American Eagle jsp's and see how it handles those. I expect it won't be bad at all. The grips must help but I really think it's the how well balanced the R8 is that minimizes the felt recoil.

I like the v notch sights a lot. I realize they may not be everyone's cup of tea but I like how quickly I can pick them up...especially with the hi viz sight I installed on the front. I'm not a bullseye shooter but I thought the v notch sights were plenty accurate and really easy to use.

I didn't mess with the moon clips this time but will the next time. After a little more practice this will be my home defense firearm. It's not inexpensive but I feel it is worth it. FYI, I bought it off grabagun for $1034 with $7.50 shipping and found a place that only charges $5 for transfers, so under $1050 total.

It's only one range trip but the R8 is definitely a keeper. I think I may even end up liking it better than my Ruger Gp100 Match Champion that I did a home action and spring job on, which is a sweet shooter too. It pains me a little to say that because I love, love, love that GP100. The Ruger will always be my woods gun in it's Simply Rugged holster with chest harness but the R8 is the better home defense revolver. The better target shooter...it's probably a toss up but the R8 is likely better by a smidge.

All smiles here.

Feel free to ask more questions.

Last edited by ScottN; 05-25-2017 at 10:29 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: