View Single Post

Old 05-25-2017, 09:53 AM

Liked 4,401 Times in 1,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcitableBoy View Post
I've said it before, but I'll say it again: "Old" is when you don't have interest in much of anything!

I'm a short hair away from 67, with all the usual pains that one gets over a lifetime of doing things that can get you hurt. The broken bones, cracked ribs, herniated discs, torn muscles, etc., have all come back to haunt me. In the last year, I've had three serious surgeries, and am in the slow process of recovering full strength and stamina. I'm probably pushing it too hard at this point ( A good sleep for me requires VA prescribed pain meds.), but I just can't sit around like a lump and do nothing.

The last two days have been spent mowing about 1 1/2 acres of grass-gone-to-bamboo to find my yard. I have a half-dismantled old 4x4 Dodge pickup, with a broken frame, in the shop that I started tearing apart last week, to rob the engine and trans to put in another pickup with a good frame. I have two more pickup projects after that, a couple of old MoPar cars to refurb, two motorcycles to work on (I still ride), books to read, holsters to make, guns to shoot, a vegetable garden to maintain, beer to drink and lots of meat to smoke in the old Weber.

All this is done while carrying whatever I feel like carrying at the time. Revolvers and semis all get their turn. When I go out socially, or shopping, my CC piece is usually a S&W 438 or an XDs 9, or one of the four Firestars in 9mm, .40 S&W or in .45 ACP. The big Smith revolvers are for jaunts through the woods.

So, I guess I must be an anomaly of sorts... I have a young, active mind trapped in a pretty beat up old body. I get cranky and sharp-tongued when needed (the revolver guy), and keep on truckin' doing young man stuff (the semi-auto guy), if that's how you want to look at it.

Schizophrenia? Hell no... I have Quadrophenia!

-------------------

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."
Anyone that brings to mind both Warren Zevon and The Who can't be all bad!

(Of course I'm a lot younger at 64 and can still remember the music. )