View Single Post

Old 05-26-2017, 06:53 AM

Liked 4,301 Times in 2,112 Posts

A tip on scanning pictures that will save some memory space on your hard drive. That is to set the scanner to Gray, or Grayscale, when scanning black and white photographs. By doing this you are avoiding storing color information that is not present and it will reduce the file size by 70% or a bit more. For Color images I like to scan at 600 dpi and then use a quality image editor to resize the image to 10.5 inches wide (fits a standard 8.5 x 11 paper) with whatever height corresponds to the perspective and a 240 DPI resolution. Then I save that to a JPG format file with the compression set to 8:1. End result is a file that can range between 300 to 800 Kb depending on detail and is small enough to attach to an email without hitting size restrictions. BTW, if you are ever scanning documents set the scanner for "lineart" (black and white), 600 DPI, and save the file as a TIF Lineart file. Because TIF will actually use a 2 bit compression scheme and you'll be shocked at how small a really detailed lineart image will compress down to.

BTW, memory is cheap today so I always keep multiple copies of all my pictures stored on portable Hard Drives. A one terrabyte drive can now be found for as little is 50 dollars on sale and that is enough memory to keep a LOT of full resolution images in their "original" size.

Final tip because hard drives are cheap now. That is don't bother with doing backups of your data. Instead purchase disk cloning software (I like Acronis True Image) and Clone your hard drive. It's actually faster to Clone a drive than doing a backup and what you get is an EXACT plug and play copy of your primary hard drive. In the event you get hit with a Ransomware virus all you have to do is remove the primary drive from your computer and install that Clone and you are back up and running. If it's been a while since you created that clone you will have to wait for your software to update (meaning installing the missing Windows updates) and your anitvirus to update but do a clone once a month and that wait isn't too long at all. I currently keep 2 drives in a cloning rotation and have a IDE/SATA to USB adapter that allows me to clone an internal hard drive using the USB connection. BTW that adapter is a Vantec CB-ISA225-U3 and includes the critical wall wart needed to supply 12V power to an internal desktop hard drive.
The Following User Likes This Post: