View Single Post

Old 05-26-2017, 07:12 AM

Liked 725 Times in 370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastoff View Post
Setting it up? First shot? No, I wouldn't suggest anything fancy. Just load 'er up with 00 Buck. If for some reason you need to take a longer shot, like 50 yards, do a "select slug" reload and put a slug in there. Otherwise, every defensive shell is 00 Buck.
I'm taking the first shot as a 3" shell for free as far as capacity is concerned. I'm not going to make the gun less handy by the addition of a side saddle for extra shells, so capacity is important. My first shot is unique; it is my opportunity to make a decisive action at this point, so I want to make the most of that. If I could somehow get a 3½" first shot, I would seriously consider it; especially since it is the equivalent to having fired the gun twice with OO Buck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muss Muggins View Post
It's a hallway gun. #8 will do the job. Everything else is just bar talk . . .
There is a very, very slim chance that a game bird or turkey is going to break into my home or accost me in such a way as to demand shooting it in self defense. As such, there is no way in hell that I will ever be loading a defensive shotgun with fine shot. Folks that want to take that chance are welcome to, but I'd request that we confine our discussions of shells loaded to buckshot or slugs please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Marine View Post
I agree with 00 Buck.
I don't think a 50 yard hit with a slug is possible, unless there are 10-12 folks shooting at the same target.
But hey, I was pretty good with a M-79 Grenade Launcher. (Blooper) So just maybe........
Perhaps you need to visit Tarhunt.com. There was at one time a very good discussion about the accuracy and limitations of slugs to be found there. It talked about the major limitation of the slug being the lack of stability at or beyond the transonic point which occurred at 125-150 yards for Foster slugs typically. The 50yard trajectory of a slug is stable out of most smoothbores that have not been "back-bored" to almost boring regularity. The biggest limitations are often a lack of sights and more often an operator who is incapable of finding or maintaining a repeatable hold.