View Single Post

Old 05-29-2017, 11:56 AM
US Veteran

Liked 17,129 Times in 5,144 Posts

I'm one who used to believe that bird shot was best used on birds only. But that has changed with the advancement of certain ammo types and testing.

I have personally tested Federal controlled flight #4 turkey loads

and 00 buck.

The shotguns used: 26" barrel with turkey choke. 24" cylinder bore (no choke). And 28" improved.

We shot turkey size targets at varying distances from 5 yards to 50 yards. This testing was done for two reasons. We were going turkey hunting obviously and my dad wanted to use his favorite shotgun for home defense which is the 24" cylinder bore.

Our findings.

We did not shoot the 00 buck through the turkey gun. But we found that out to 50 yards the turkey gun was awesome with the Federal #4 turkey load. We also shot other #4 and #5 loads without flight control and the results weren't near as good. Not even close. Most of the Federal pellets hit the target at 50 yards. Recoil wasn't bad at all.

We shot the other two shotguns with Federal flight control 00 buck at distances from 5 to 20 yards. With both shotguns results were impressive at 20 yards and even more so at 10 yards. All pellets hit the target. Again recoil wasn't bad.

Then we shot the Federal #4 turkey loads with both guns. Results were the same. Even the cylinder bore gun was impressive at 20 yards.

Our conclusions were that either load would work well inside my fathers home from distances as far as 15 yards with his favorite shotgun. He chose the #4 turkey load. At 1250 fps, it's more than enough to do the job.

So my suggestion is, pick either one and test it. The problem with shot guns and ammo selection is that results can vary from person to person and gun to gun.